Thursday, February 17, 2011

One Amazing Soup!!!

Ok, I have to give the history of this...

I was at work and the ER Clerk heated up some soup for her dinner. Because she was sitting next to me, I could smell the soup and it smelled absolutely amazing!!!!! I finally asked her what it was and she said that it was Turkey Kielbasa soup. I asked her what was in it, so she gave me the recipe. As she told me the ingredients, the first thing that came to my mind was that I would have rather died than eat this soup as a little kid. I now call it the Child's Nightmare Soup, but I tell you, this stuff is absolutely amazing!!!!!! And you can do so much with it. Anyway, here's the recipe. And I'm telling you, don't knock it until you try it!

1Kielbasa sausage (or any type of sausage. I usually get the jalapeno sausage...the one shaped like a "C")
1 onion
celery
carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 can black beans
spinach
1 tsp oregano
4 c chicken broth

Brown sausage and slice vegetables. Combine in a pot along with oregano, black beans, and chicken broth (NOT THE SPINACH). Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Throw in spinach (desired amount) and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. ENJOY!

I'm sure you can see how it got the name "Child's Nightmare Soup". The fun thing is, you can add what you want. I have added green peppers as well, and I found vegetable broth. So I combined vegetable and chicken broth and it tasted amazing! Of course, I always add crushed red pepper for some additional spice. I next want to try adding potatoes to see what that does. You could add corn, cilantro (if you wanted to ruin the recipe), mushrooms, whatever veggies you can think of. And I'm telling you, it tastes absolutely amazing!!!! If your kids ever complain about what you make, make this and they'll know that whatever you made before is much better! :) Feed this to them and they'll never complain again. But, if you eat it, you'll never want to cook anything else! Enjoy, and let me know if you try it (and what you thought).

1 comment:

mary.katherine said...

I STILL love that you've kept Dumb and Dumber on your favorites list. I love it a lot.

Quotes

"[Confucius] taught that the country which develops the finest music, the grandest poetry, and the noblest moral ideals--that is, the country with the most exalted culture--will always yield the greatest power in the world."

-Letters from the Jade Dragon Box by Gale Sears



"Who is such a reprobate as I! And yet it seems that even I am in Somebody's hand!'

-Mr. Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge



"...[T]he magnitude of [life] is not as to [one's] external displacements, but as to [one's] subjective experiences."

-Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles





"...I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed--because 'Thou mayest.'"

-Lee in East of Eden