Sunday, October 10, 2010

More About HomeOwnership

So, as I promised, I have some pictures of my loot from the yard sale of the old guest houses at McKay-Dee Hospital...and here they are:

The lamps (here are four, one more was not photographed and one is soon to follow)

Here's some decor I could not resist

This picture I bought for the frame. I have an impossible puzzle of Neuschwanstein Castle that, when finished, will be glued together and put in this frame.

This is a picture that I am keeping intact. I love the old European Town look

Here's another lamp :)
Not pictured are the following:

  • a microwave
  • bunk beds (with mattresses)
  • full bed (with mattress)
  • shelves (PVC)
  • sheets and unused dish cloths
  • another lamp
  • a set of plates
  • a Christmas tree (with decorations)
It was a good haul! That and I only spent $160 :)

As far as the house goes, I am still waiting to hear about the loan. The inspection and the appraisal have already been completed (and the house has passed). 

Other things I am looking at are the following:
  • Painting (Kitchen - Yellow; Front Room - Beige; Bedroom - Blue; Bedroom - Green; Bedroom - Yellow, Blue, Green, or Beige...whatever I seem to like best when the time for choosing has come). This is obviously a want, but most likely will be granted. Obviously, the colors will be shades of the listed color and not just the regular color. I am already going through paint samples to try and choose which shade.
  • Washer and Dryer - This is a need if I want to wash my clothes. It will be granted.
  • Couch/Love Seat/Chair - This is a want and I may have to wait until a later date.
  • Tear out carpet and re-finish hardwood floors - I know the carpet needs to be changed (and will be changed) in two of the bedrooms, but I am not sure if I want to re-carpet the rooms or keep the hardwood floors underneath. I'm planning on keeping the front room carpet for the next few years. I may re-carpet the bedrooms and then, when the time comes, get rid of the carpet in the front room and then buff up the hardwood floors. I'm still trying to decide.
I also have some other ideas to fix up the house, but those will have to wait for quite some time. These ideas include:
  • placing molding around the windows
  • remodeling the bathrooms
  • replacing the kitchen linoleum
  • replacing the inside doors
I think I may just end up painting the house and removing the carpet in one bedroom (the deep-red color...definitely not going to stay. It's way too retro!!) and then saving for the other projects. Luckily, I have a few years to save money and make changes. This is going to be pretty fun I think.

So, there's the update. I will keep you posted with any additional news.

No comments:

Quotes

"[Confucius] taught that the country which develops the finest music, the grandest poetry, and the noblest moral ideals--that is, the country with the most exalted culture--will always yield the greatest power in the world."

-Letters from the Jade Dragon Box by Gale Sears



"Who is such a reprobate as I! And yet it seems that even I am in Somebody's hand!'

-Mr. Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge



"...[T]he magnitude of [life] is not as to [one's] external displacements, but as to [one's] subjective experiences."

-Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles





"...I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed--because 'Thou mayest.'"

-Lee in East of Eden