Sunday, September 26, 2010

Last Hike of the Summer

As the last hoorah for summer, some of my family and I went up to Brighton and had a fabulous time! My parents and I did a little hike up to Dog Lake. The hike was amazing because the weather was beautiful (no wind, no clouds, perfect temperature, and quiet). While we were there, a couple moose decided to join us. However, we made them stay on the other side of the lake (no discrimination, just some safety concerns. We didn't want to scare them too badly). It was nice thought because we could hear them talking, along with the birds chirping and the little breezes of wind that would come and go. In addition, there was the smell of the woods (pure, clean, crisp) that had a mixture of pine and leaves that are starting to fall. I'm surprised we even left! Here are some pictures. Unfortunately, my camera does not record sound. And...you'll have to look hard for the moose, but I promise they were there! :)
Brighton

That is a moose (IN Dog Lake)

Just trust me...there are two moose somewhere in this picture.

Yellow really is the best color!





Dog Lake (in Brighton)

That's my mom by the rock :)
After we finished out hike, my sister, brother-in-law, and their kids met us up at the trail head where we made a camp fire and cooked us some foil dinners (there's nothing better!!!!) and some s'mores (courtesy of my sister). It was so fun to see them (my nieces and nephews are getting too big...and that's only one family, the one I see more regularly!) Unfortunately, my other siblings were unable to come (due to distance or previous engagements). I missed them all, but it was still fun to be with those who were able to come. Family really is great!!!!

No comments:

Quotes

"[Confucius] taught that the country which develops the finest music, the grandest poetry, and the noblest moral ideals--that is, the country with the most exalted culture--will always yield the greatest power in the world."

-Letters from the Jade Dragon Box by Gale Sears



"Who is such a reprobate as I! And yet it seems that even I am in Somebody's hand!'

-Mr. Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge



"...[T]he magnitude of [life] is not as to [one's] external displacements, but as to [one's] subjective experiences."

-Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles





"...I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed--because 'Thou mayest.'"

-Lee in East of Eden