Sunday, March 28, 2010

Temples At My Doorstep!

Alright, enough is enough (before I go on, what is the grammatically correct usage of "alright"? Is it "all right" or "alright"?)

Anyway, I have made a decision...

When I went to the temple for the first time (right before my mission), I wanted to go to every temple in Utah, as there is quite a selection! I actually had a plan to do so but because I did not want to go alone and I could not find someone else who wanted to accompany me, I did not reach that goal...yet. I am proud to say, however, that I did make it to the Salt Lake, Jordan River, and San Diego (one of my absolute favorites!!!) The San Diego opportunity was an amazing pre-mission gift from my brother and sister-in-law. That will forever be a top memory in my mind!

Anyway, this year, I was planning a trip to Brazil to spend a couple of weeks with my brother and his family during Christmas. The plans were almost finalized and I was about to purchase the tickets when I realized that it was a bit more pricey than I expected. :( I am planning a trip to see my sister and her new baby sometime during the fall but told myself that in order to maintain my sanity, I need to do some type of trip before then. Today, the answer just came to me...an extended temple trip!

I know that I can get Logan and Ogden done in the same day and then I can do Bountiful, Salt Lake and Jordan River one day and then Draper and Oquirrh Mountain another day. Then, I can travel to Utah County and do Mt Timpanogos and Provo. Manti and Vernal will be its own day, as will Monticello and St. George. Those four will need a bit more planning and some PTO. Then, I figured once Payson and Brigham City were completed, I could go see those and, once Ogden is finished with the change (which I realize will be in some time), I can visit that one again. I may even extend into Twin Falls, Rexburg and Idaho Falls (maybe Boise) and possibly down into Snowflake, Mesa and Gila Valley (but that is pretty far south). Las Vegas may even fall into the list. Denver (much like the Arizona temples) will require a much bigger commitment, so I'll have to see about that. I know for sure I will see every Utah Temple. Anybody interested in coming with? I do plan on taking a camera to snap shots of the grounds. I can promise a very fun trip!

For those who are interested, I have been able to see Salt Lake, Jordan River, Draper, Oquirrh Mountain, Mt. Timpanogos, Provo, Manti, Bountiful, Ogden, San Diego, Raleigh, Washington DC, Manhattan, Nauvoo, and Madrid. There are many more that I want to see, but this is one instance that requires patience (and a lot of money!) I've got the patience, but the money is lacking.

So there you have it. That is my plan to keep my sanity. I'm very excited!

2 comments:

mary.katherine said...

Alright. (That's the way i've always written it...)

I have that same goal! When I have time and money (but mostly time...i've got PLENTY of money. ha ha.) I had thought to do that same thing. Someday i'll do it. That's cool that you made the plans!

Let me know when you make it down to the Lord's Holy County. As Suzi's dad says, Provo is the only true temple!!

Amy said...

Sounds like a very fun time. And a very busy time. I would love to visit all the temples, but I know it will never happen. However, what I really need to do is just get to our temple more often. Yeah. That's my goal. Once a week would be nice.

Quotes

"[Confucius] taught that the country which develops the finest music, the grandest poetry, and the noblest moral ideals--that is, the country with the most exalted culture--will always yield the greatest power in the world."

-Letters from the Jade Dragon Box by Gale Sears



"Who is such a reprobate as I! And yet it seems that even I am in Somebody's hand!'

-Mr. Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge



"...[T]he magnitude of [life] is not as to [one's] external displacements, but as to [one's] subjective experiences."

-Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles





"...I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed--because 'Thou mayest.'"

-Lee in East of Eden