Monday, September 7, 2009

Post-Graduation 2009

Well, it has been quite some time since my last post, which was a complaint (I left you all hanging on a low note...my apologies!) The question is...what have I been up to since graduation? Well, here is my answer:





As you may already have known, I planned a little US tour to see my sister and brother-in-law as well as my brother and sister-in-law who no longer live close. Unfortunately, this US tour could not be broadened to an international tour and I was unable to visit my brother and sister-in-law. While I am still dealing with the disappointment, I did enjoy my visits to my two other siblings. As a momento of the trips, I picked this photo, taken by yours truly at the Sarah Duke Gardens (I can never get enough of that place!)



Anyway, afterwards, I went to my very own Disneyland (aka Washington, DC). It was
phenomenal! I love it in DC and would definitely live out there if a job ever came my way. There is so much stuff to do out there that I still have a list full of activities (yes, I need and will be going back...sometime).

My time in DC was filled with interesting moments. For example, there was the shooting at the Holocaust Museum and the metro accident (luckily, I was at Georgetown Campus and was not near these incidents, but still, I was affected. It was sad that both accidents occurred.

An extremely exciting and positive event did happen while I was there. President Monson came, along with Elder Oaks, to meet with President Obama! Even though I did not see either individual (I was very sad indeed), it was fun being in the same city (yes, I am a bit quirky...but it makes life fun!)

As you may have noticed (from my previous post), I was in DC for the 4th of July, which was amazing (aside from the three individuals who thought they were the only ones there, but enough of that). The fireworks were fabulous and it was a great experience to be on the National Mall at that time. I felt completely at home!

Anyway, this photo of the Washington Monument was a pretty good picture to share. Again, I love DC!!!! If you have not been, you must make it a priority (unless you're going to Spain, then Spain needs to be the top priority, of course!)

Once my internship in DC came to an end, I returned home. While it was great to be back, I missed DC very much. I did enjoy being back with my family and back in Salt Lake City. The only bad thing about it was...job hunting :(. Yes, it's true, I had to begin the search for a job. The upside has been that I am in good company...apparently everyone and their dog is looking for a job (which is enough to make the experience much more fun!)

I do admit, I believe I have had great experiences during my job hunt. I have had several interviews that helps me recognize that I am competitive. These interviews have also helped me improve in my skills and have helped me recognize areas in which I need to improve. With that being said, I am still quite ready for a FULL-TIME job with BENEFITS (but there aren't very many of those available).

While I have been applying for jobs and interviewing, I have also been hanging out a lot with my friend Harry. I have just discovered book on CD (I have always known about it, but I listened and was hooked). This book-on-tape idea is amazing! I have been able to get so much done while listening to Jim Dale narrate an amazing story!!!!!

Well, that is about all I have for now. I can honestly say that life is good and I am enjoying it. Family and friends really make life more enjoyable!

1 comment:

mary.katherine said...

YOU UPDATED!! And you got a job--which is great. I have never tried books on tape. Maybe i'll have to look into that. Hope you are finding apartments that are cheap and nice. :)

Quotes

"[Confucius] taught that the country which develops the finest music, the grandest poetry, and the noblest moral ideals--that is, the country with the most exalted culture--will always yield the greatest power in the world."

-Letters from the Jade Dragon Box by Gale Sears



"Who is such a reprobate as I! And yet it seems that even I am in Somebody's hand!'

-Mr. Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge



"...[T]he magnitude of [life] is not as to [one's] external displacements, but as to [one's] subjective experiences."

-Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles





"...I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed--because 'Thou mayest.'"

-Lee in East of Eden