Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life in "Disneyland"

So, I don't know if I mentioned this in a previous post, but I came up with a good analogy for me and Washington, DC...it is my Disneyland! I am fascinated by anything-DC! Call me a nerd (my co-workers did), I don't care. That being said, here is what I have been up to during my stay here so far:

1) Running an academic conference with a mix of good students and children who are raised thinking they are entitled to anything they want and thinking they are exceptions to any rule (thank you parents!)
2) Visiting Capital Hill (more visits to come with just myself!)
3) Visiting the National Mall
4) SPENDING ALL DAY ON THE MALL (I read at the Lincoln and the Jefferson memorials...I even slept at the Jefferson memorial! Oh...it was bliss!!!)
5) Passing the White House in hopes that Pres Obama were taking a little stroll outside (I know, the likelihood of that happening is the same as me becoming the next president!)
6) Best of all...a trip to the Washington, DC LDS Temple

Further plans include the following:

1) A visit to Arlington Cemetery
2) A visit to the cathedral
3) A visit to Capital Hill
4) A quick trip to New York City
5) A Smithsonian or two
6) Another trip to the National Mall
7) Hopefully, a trip to Mt. Vernon

Now, before you all start getting jealous, do not worry. I am now providing some pictures of my fun so you can all participate vicariously :) Enjoy!!!!







PS...because I have so many, I can only upload a few pictures. I will add another post with additional pictures :) Don't worry...I'm always thinking of my loyal readers!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Hey, don't give up on the White House....I've walked by before when the first family was walking around....they were pretty far away, but they still waved at us!

Quotes

"[Confucius] taught that the country which develops the finest music, the grandest poetry, and the noblest moral ideals--that is, the country with the most exalted culture--will always yield the greatest power in the world."

-Letters from the Jade Dragon Box by Gale Sears



"Who is such a reprobate as I! And yet it seems that even I am in Somebody's hand!'

-Mr. Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge



"...[T]he magnitude of [life] is not as to [one's] external displacements, but as to [one's] subjective experiences."

-Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles





"...I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed--because 'Thou mayest.'"

-Lee in East of Eden